How do we stack up?
Average unemployment tax rate as a percent of taxable wage base, per state
Of course, average rates vary dramatically from one type of business to another,
according to conditions affecting that type of business. And the same tax rate in
two different states may be applied to two very different taxable wage bases,
resulting in very different costs. Finally, the same tax rate will yield different
costs depending on turnover, since the tax will be paid over again for each employee
who fills the same position.
Here, nevertheless, are the average rates1 per state in 2009, the last
year for which data was generated. But note these options:
- To sort this list alphabetically by state, click on the link "state" below.
- To sort this list by taxable wage base, low to high, click on "wage base" below.
- To sort this list by the assigned tax rate as applied to the taxable wage base, click on "tax rate" below.
- To sort this list by the effective tax rate (called "wage rate" here) as applied to all the wages paid, not just the taxable wage base, click on "wage rate" below.
- To sort this list by the average dollar cost of this tax per employee, click on "cost per empl;oyee" below.